Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Why Does That Rock Say 1620?

On Sunday, August 8, we took another day trip to Plymouth, and while we looked again at the Rock, I overheard a young boy ask his parents, "Why does that rock say 1620?" His parents had no response to that, except to admit they didn't know and then wondered aloud if they should throw pennies at the rock for good luck. (I suppose if you kiss the Blarney Stone in Ireland, it makes perfect sense to throw your change at Plymouth Rock.) I was tempted to speak up and give a little history lesson as to why "that rock," in historic Plymouth, would have the year 1620 carved in it but thought better of it. What I would consider being helpful might be taken as offensive by someone else, and I didn't wish to offend. It was an honest question by the boy, and I was surprised that his parents could not think of an answer.

In any case, I've just gotten the chance to resize some of the photos I'd taken and will hopefully (barring unforseen obstacles to my internet access) be uploading them over the next few days.

Housing for the rock in question reminds me of an ancient temple, and for some reason it fascinates me.


"Plymouth Rock Temple," Plymouth, MA, 8 August 2004

I have yet to board the Mayflower, but there are so many other sights to see when we visit, that there's never enough time. Next trip to Plymouth will have to include some sort of harbor tour or a whale watch or something else that'll take me out onto the water. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home